Skip to main content

First Month

Having been here a month, I'd say that I've acculturated to the pace of life and have gotten into a comfortable routine. On weekdays, this involves catching the trains to school, sticking around after class to get some studying done and then hopping on the evening train back home. Sometimes, I'd opt to eat in the city instead of home, but this usually involves the company of friends or classmates. Otherwise, I'd much rather go home to rest, relax and read.

Weekends are fun here in New York. One never runs out of things to do here especially on a Friday or Saturday night, the highlights so far are the bars in Williamsburg or Brooklyn, gallery hopping in Chelsea, eating out in Chinatown or just chillin' and having a meal or drink in the Village. Admittedly, I'm trying to cut down one expenditure so that means less alcohol and eating out. I've also been making full use of my membership at L.A. fitness, since the NYU recreation centre is a little too overcrowded for my taste.

So far, I'm happy with the progress I've made in school , which include keeping up with my readings, writing memos or being part of the Suspension Representation Project. I've developed a stronger work ethic and a sense of professionalism which I feel are inseparable in the practice of law. Attention to detail and time managements are two areas that I'm striving to improve in, but I'm sure more exposure to the right crowds and training will take care of that.

My short term prospects are bright since I've been blessed with two internships to two of Malaysia's leading law firms: Shearn Delamore and Skrine. I'll be heading over there this Summer for a span of three months (or possibly more). This trip will be pivotal for me, since as some of you may know, I have a heart to return to and work in my home country. My experience there will weigh heavily in my considerations for the future. Nevertheless, I am excited to return already to visit my relatives and friends, and to reconnect with those who are special to me.

I'll stop writing for now and return to what's left of my weekend. A recent skype call with a long time friend (knew her since I was 5 or 6) has reminded me to continue exercising humility and to demonstrate the willingness to learn from others or from my own mistakes. I've realized that being patient and maintaining a positive outlook on life makes my pursuit of happiness all the more worthwhile. Often, I'd wake up to discover that I'm already happy and so immensely blessed.

I miss my family and friends back home in Vancouver. Here's to all of us finding our peace and happiness in the course of our busy lives.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Talk about Livability Enough

We don't. What's the number one thing you wished would change in the place you live in? I'm not talking about a trip to IKEA for your personal living space. It's something bigger. Beyond your drive way, your porch. Your immediate surroundings or even the township that you're in. When was the last time we paused and reflected on the state its in? Are there clogged drains, litter, stray animals, broken lights, mosquito infestation, rats, roaches, cracked sidewalks, potholes, unused empty spaces, overgrowth, weeds? Just to name a few. Maybe you think it'll be nice to finally add more park benches for people to sit in. Or maybe, to have a park to start with. "Livability" as a concept is not widely discussed on its on, but implied: whether the place has a high quality of living, infrastructure, public transportation, education, amenities, suitable climate, access to jobs. All of these decide whether a place is "livable" or not. B...

New York So Far

It has been such a frantic week or so here. I'm writing this as I take a break from the copious amount of readings assigned in law school. A quick summary of what I've learnt so far (in general chronological occurence during a typical day) 1. Setting 3 alarms to wake up is efficient and effective 2. Showering the night before and laying out clothes for next morning allows me to reach the train station in 12-14 minutes, 15 minutes is cutting it. 3. The 7:52 am train is also a good option if you miss the 7:34 train in New Hyde Park. 4. When Penn Station-bound, sit in the last 2 cars of the LIRR so I'm closer to the 8th avenue ACE trains to West 4th Station. 5. Food portions are extremely large, so anything within $6.99 is very very adequate expenditure for my individual consumption. 6. Haggling has saved me upwards of $40 when riding cabs who don't charge by meter (outside of Manhattan). 7. Sit in the middle back rows of the class so I won't be called on ver...

Reflections on New York: Part 2

The Team Triumphant UBC Team with our 'Outstanding Delegation' in the United Nations Headquarters, Manhattan, New York. We represented the Republic of Madagascar in the National Model United Nations conference. (April 1st-5th 2012) This is Part 2 of my reflections. Before I dive into what it was like to live in New York, I would like to say a few things about the people I spent a week with. Needless to say, we performed very well and our awards are the fruits of our labour. What impressed me the most was that everyone recognized the importance of this trip and prepared accordingly through research, speech preps etc. Most importantly, all of them realized their potential and took their individual skill sets to new heights. As the team's academic 'trainer' and one of its members, I viewed our achievement as an unequivocal success. It makes me smile to think that this victory will serve as a cornerstone or stepping stone (call it whatever stone you desire), to...