Skip to main content

New York So Far

It has been such a frantic week or so here. I'm writing this as I take a break from the copious amount of readings assigned in law school.

A quick summary of what I've learnt so far (in general chronological occurence during a typical day)

1. Setting 3 alarms to wake up is efficient and effective
2. Showering the night before and laying out clothes for next morning allows me to reach the train station in 12-14 minutes, 15 minutes is cutting it.
3. The 7:52 am train is also a good option if you miss the 7:34 train in New Hyde Park.
4. When Penn Station-bound, sit in the last 2 cars of the LIRR so I'm closer to the 8th avenue ACE trains to West 4th Station.
5. Food portions are extremely large, so anything within $6.99 is very very adequate expenditure for my individual consumption.
6. Haggling has saved me upwards of $40 when riding cabs who don't charge by meter (outside of Manhattan).
7. Sit in the middle back rows of the class so I won't be called on very often by professor.
8. Do all readings, including supplements. Prep for every class religiously and rigorously so I can sound smart but still don't understand a lot of it.
9. I have a highlighter legend, so my casebooks are all rainbow coloured now. Lesson is to get more highlighters I guess. I have a 99cent store near me so that should be okay.
10. IRAC in legal analysis is really handy and saves a lot of time
11. In contracts, consideration (performance or a return promise) must be bargained for (R2K §71.1) .
12. When L.I-bound, sit in first 3 cars of the LIRR so I'm closer to the crosswalk across the railway tracks and home.
13. Best chinese, pizza & indian food around here have been identified, order over phone and walk over for take-out is the best option, since no time/lazy to cook. Will look into cost-saving meal preparation come the Fall/Winter.
14. Fav study spot - Bobst, alternative Wash. Sq Starbucks on W4th, or any cafe in Village.
15. Cheaper living costs in suburbs offset by hefty LIRR ticket costs.

That's all for now, returning to CivPro. Will write more about my thoughts on law school in general soon.

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Talk about Livability Enough

We don't. What's the number one thing you wished would change in the place you live in? I'm not talking about a trip to IKEA for your personal living space. It's something bigger. Beyond your drive way, your porch. Your immediate surroundings or even the township that you're in. When was the last time we paused and reflected on the state its in? Are there clogged drains, litter, stray animals, broken lights, mosquito infestation, rats, roaches, cracked sidewalks, potholes, unused empty spaces, overgrowth, weeds? Just to name a few. Maybe you think it'll be nice to finally add more park benches for people to sit in. Or maybe, to have a park to start with. "Livability" as a concept is not widely discussed on its on, but implied: whether the place has a high quality of living, infrastructure, public transportation, education, amenities, suitable climate, access to jobs. All of these decide whether a place is "livable" or not. B...

Reflections on New York: Part 2

The Team Triumphant UBC Team with our 'Outstanding Delegation' in the United Nations Headquarters, Manhattan, New York. We represented the Republic of Madagascar in the National Model United Nations conference. (April 1st-5th 2012) This is Part 2 of my reflections. Before I dive into what it was like to live in New York, I would like to say a few things about the people I spent a week with. Needless to say, we performed very well and our awards are the fruits of our labour. What impressed me the most was that everyone recognized the importance of this trip and prepared accordingly through research, speech preps etc. Most importantly, all of them realized their potential and took their individual skill sets to new heights. As the team's academic 'trainer' and one of its members, I viewed our achievement as an unequivocal success. It makes me smile to think that this victory will serve as a cornerstone or stepping stone (call it whatever stone you desire), to...