Skip to main content

Walkability


I've spent close to 3 weeks in Singapore for a work trip recently.  The city is a gleaming example of prudent, sensible & effective public policy.

Every square-inch of the island has been mapped out, years before, with the room to rework the space if the need arises.

Let's talk about walking, specifically, the decision to walk to your destination and forgo other means of transportation.

Not enough people in Malaysia like to walk. Many blame the weather, the cracked sidewalks or that it's simply much easier to drive or share a ride there.

Their reasons are justified.

However, I'd argue that walkability is the end result of many policies aligning to create just the right environment to inspire people to lace up their shoes and make that walk. These policies are, in no particular order of importance: spatial planning, accessibility, public transportation. Using Singapore as a case study, I'll provide some observations and thoughts.

Spatial Planning: Some thought went into how the streets will be redesigned and carved out. From the width of the actual avenues, to the spaciousness of the sidewalks. For a small island, the economy of space is fully maximized, with most streets having enough room for hedges, plants, flowers, trees & small areas of green. The trees also create shaded areas for respite from the scorching sun.

A combination of spaciousness & greenery makes walking comfortable, at least comfortable enough for me to swing the cost-benefit analysis in favor of walking.

Accessibility: Being able to walk to your destination is one thing; being able to walk comfortably is another. To improve this comfort, streets & roads should be connected with ample ramps, connectors, clearly marked paths, signage, sidewalks & of course, access for disabled persons.

Here, retroactive policy-making is less preferred compared to proactive policy-making: it's best to plan the space and predict how foot traffic will access & use the space in the next 5-10 years.

Public Transportation: Walking is integral to Public Transportation. To get to any station or transportation hub, I'd have to walk there. Getting off the vehicle, I'd have to walk the final leg to my destination. The access to public transportation should be intuitive, easy-to-find & easy-to-navigate.

In sum, walkability is a measure of good, proactive policy-making. It's down to the basics: how easy, comfortable & straightforward it is to walk from Point A to Point B. Spaces should be planned with foot traffic as priority, followed by public transportation & motor traffic.


Comments

  1. One good way to makeganga bhakti online is by becoming a affiliate to a reputable company. As an affiliate, you get a percentage of any sales that you refer people to make. Ganga music

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1: Why I chose to come back to Malaysia

We often hear of people moving to foreign lands to pursue better opportunities, to live more comfortably and to build happier families. Other countries present us with financial security, job prospects, friendlier people and desirable living standards. When I was 14, I embarked on a journey which I regard as the pivotal point of my life. It was a journey undertaken with faith and a hope that the pursuit of happiness will be easier over there, where the grass is greener and the skies blue. It was a journey to come home. As I write this, my journey has brought me home to the country where I was born and it is a place which I can truly call home. My identity is Malaysian, and 9 years in North America has taught me that nothing will ever come close to compromise that reality. I chose to come back because of a confluence of factors, but for this post I'll focus on identity. I'm often asked about why I chose to return to a country in which hope has been dashed by poor governanc

Reflections on New York: Part 2

The Team Triumphant UBC Team with our 'Outstanding Delegation' in the United Nations Headquarters, Manhattan, New York. We represented the Republic of Madagascar in the National Model United Nations conference. (April 1st-5th 2012) This is Part 2 of my reflections. Before I dive into what it was like to live in New York, I would like to say a few things about the people I spent a week with. Needless to say, we performed very well and our awards are the fruits of our labour. What impressed me the most was that everyone recognized the importance of this trip and prepared accordingly through research, speech preps etc. Most importantly, all of them realized their potential and took their individual skill sets to new heights. As the team's academic 'trainer' and one of its members, I viewed our achievement as an unequivocal success. It makes me smile to think that this victory will serve as a cornerstone or stepping stone (call it whatever stone you desire), to

Give Me Some Space

Give me some space. Give me just some space where I can spend my Saturday afternoons, a retreat from the sterile, air-conditioned corridors of those shopping malls. Give me just some space where I can enjoy a picnic with my friends. Give me just some space where I can be sheltered from the scorching sun. Give me just some space with trees, green grass, benches and pebbles, to watch others play softball or throw a frisbee. Give me just some space with well-lit pathways and snaking lanes which lead nowhere, just to explore in the evening breeze. Give me just some space with a canopy, so that bikers can enjoy the shade once in a while. Give me just some space so that I can look up at the clear blue sky, lounging as time goes by. Give me just some space so that I can feel that I live in a place.