Skip to main content

Part 2: Why I chose to come back to Malaysia

If there are two irrefutable truths about why I chose to come back to my home country, the first would be the common identity which I share with my fellow Malaysians; the second would be the passion which flows through my veins. What is the passion which I speak of? This passion takes many shapes and forms, but it is constantly the fuel for my motivates and the spark that I rely on to accomplish everything from the mundane to the extraordinary. Mainly, this passion is one that equates personal identity with a purpose larger than myself. This passion is the desire to equate personal goals with the common struggle; that the personal is political - that life is politics and politics is life. I have identified a few passions which have motivated me to not only apply my political education in my work tasks, but to also assert myself in other areas of Malaysian life: the social, religious and recreational. In this post I'll focus mainly on my passion for being involved in grassroots politics in Malaysia.

One of my passions is to collectively realize that common goal or aspiration, and this has propelled me to push my personal boundaries to try things which I have never had the courage to attempt before. My decision to return and to develop as a professional is, as I have already mentioned, is a result of this passion. Having studied in western, liberal democratic countries such as Canada and United States, I have cultivated a spirit of expression: whether it is to assert my beliefs or expound on the principles on which I stand, I believe strongly in the need for expressing ideas or thoughts. Of course, once you do express them, you have to defend them from scrutiny and attack. This is when I strong conviction proves to be useful. In my case, I believe that I have a duty to preserve what is beautiful and just in Malaysia. The writings of Nehru, Mandela and Mao have inspired a nationalistic thirst in me that is not about to be quenched just by sitting behind a computer, thousands of miles away from the realities of my homeland.

I had before me a choice: to choose a career which pays a comfortable wage and live a reasonably stable life in a peaceful and prosperous country like Canada; or to choose a career which presents challenges at every corner, thorny prospects and sacrificial hardship, but along with it a rewarding sense of hope and optimism for a country shared by many who yearn for change and reform. I chose the latter path, the road with no end. Currently, I continue to sow the seeds of trust and confidence into my tanah air. The land is fertile and the soil rich for those who are willing to put in the effort. The sapling is planted - the tree which will provide shade for generations of hopeful Malaysians to come; the offspring of those who have enjoyed the fruits of their forefathers. I am taking my place amongst those who have heeded that thunderous whisper across the oceans; that beckoning for Malaysians on every shore and plateau, far and wide, to return to our homeland's bosom to join ranks towards a sustainable change.

The realities on the ground are irrefutably difficult. Wages at subsistence levels, high costs of living, grueling commutes, an unforgiving climate and an apprehension towards 'foreign' hybrids such as myself all present seemingly insurmountable challenges. However, I refuse to throw in the towel. Malaysia is a country brimming with vibrant individuals who are willing to do the work and toil for their families. The Malay, Chinese, Indian and indigenous pillars continue to hold this house called Malaysia up, and its foundation remains strong and proud - a foundation built upon the backs of our forefathers' blood, sweat and tears. Unity may not be immediately possible, but integration can be. Together, we infuse a dynamism which is unparalleled in any land on this earth.

The Malaysian 'soul' is resilient, tolerant and creative: it is determined to persevere through any odds, tolerant of each other's differences and creative in its numerous manifestations and expressions. How many melodious tongues do we hear on a daily basis here in Malaysia? Most importantly, we are experiencing a cultural boom which not only synergizes the output of many young urban Malaysians, but also re-brands and repackages the old into refurbished products for aesthetic and educational enjoyment. We are, however, the biggest impediment to our success. With so much optimism, it is difficult to understand why people are choosing to dismantle hard-wrought success through inequitable policies and unsustainable management methods.

This is where we all come in, at least, this is what I know to be my cue. We have been given democratic space either through coincidence or design. We must capitalize on this advantageous position to bargain for more, to exercise our rights of expression and the power of our creativity. We must not fear the uncertain: the low wages, the hardship and the pain; for nothing beautiful comes out of inaction. In a land of contestations such as Malaysia, where every arena presents its own battle, whether it be identity, resources, religion, values or morality, action inevitably puts us in a situation where we must stand on our principles to defend what is just and equitable.

Action, therefore, allows us to hold our ground against bigotry, discrimination and greed.

Action allows to discover our innate roles as co-inhabitants of this majestic land.

Action offers us that indefinite and infinite proposition to pursue what we call happiness.

Action makes us feel alive.

I feel alive in Malaysia.

Comments

  1. If you canGanga music think of anything you can do that people might pay for, browse over what is already offered. You will be surprised at the kinds of tasks that are available.ganga bhakti

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1: Why I chose to come back to Malaysia

We often hear of people moving to foreign lands to pursue better opportunities, to live more comfortably and to build happier families. Other countries present us with financial security, job prospects, friendlier people and desirable living standards. When I was 14, I embarked on a journey which I regard as the pivotal point of my life. It was a journey undertaken with faith and a hope that the pursuit of happiness will be easier over there, where the grass is greener and the skies blue. It was a journey to come home. As I write this, my journey has brought me home to the country where I was born and it is a place which I can truly call home. My identity is Malaysian, and 9 years in North America has taught me that nothing will ever come close to compromise that reality. I chose to come back because of a confluence of factors, but for this post I'll focus on identity. I'm often asked about why I chose to return to a country in which hope has been dashed by poor governanc

Reflections on New York: Part 2

The Team Triumphant UBC Team with our 'Outstanding Delegation' in the United Nations Headquarters, Manhattan, New York. We represented the Republic of Madagascar in the National Model United Nations conference. (April 1st-5th 2012) This is Part 2 of my reflections. Before I dive into what it was like to live in New York, I would like to say a few things about the people I spent a week with. Needless to say, we performed very well and our awards are the fruits of our labour. What impressed me the most was that everyone recognized the importance of this trip and prepared accordingly through research, speech preps etc. Most importantly, all of them realized their potential and took their individual skill sets to new heights. As the team's academic 'trainer' and one of its members, I viewed our achievement as an unequivocal success. It makes me smile to think that this victory will serve as a cornerstone or stepping stone (call it whatever stone you desire), to

Give Me Some Space

Give me some space. Give me just some space where I can spend my Saturday afternoons, a retreat from the sterile, air-conditioned corridors of those shopping malls. Give me just some space where I can enjoy a picnic with my friends. Give me just some space where I can be sheltered from the scorching sun. Give me just some space with trees, green grass, benches and pebbles, to watch others play softball or throw a frisbee. Give me just some space with well-lit pathways and snaking lanes which lead nowhere, just to explore in the evening breeze. Give me just some space with a canopy, so that bikers can enjoy the shade once in a while. Give me just some space so that I can look up at the clear blue sky, lounging as time goes by. Give me just some space so that I can feel that I live in a place.