Skip to main content

We Don't Talk about Livability Enough

We don't.

What's the number one thing you wished would change in the place you live in?

I'm not talking about a trip to IKEA for your personal living space. It's something bigger.

Beyond your drive way, your porch.

Your immediate surroundings or even the township that you're in.

When was the last time we paused and reflected on the state its in?

Are there clogged drains, litter, stray animals, broken lights, mosquito infestation, rats, roaches, cracked sidewalks, potholes, unused empty spaces, overgrowth, weeds? Just to name a few.

Maybe you think it'll be nice to finally add more park benches for people to sit in. Or maybe, to have a park to start with.

"Livability" as a concept is not widely discussed on its on, but implied: whether the place has a high quality of living, infrastructure, public transportation, education, amenities, suitable climate, access to jobs. All of these decide whether a place is "livable" or not.

But these factors usually only enter our conversations when we decide to move, relocate, migrate or rent/purchase property.

After that decision is made, we rarely talk about these things anymore, other than the occasional grunt or complaint made in passing, then we get on with our lives.

We dismiss it, because there's nothing you can do about it. Or, at least, that's how you feel.

Maybe you write a letter in protestation or to voice your grievance to your local neighbourhood council.

But halfway through that letter, you know in the back of your mind, that it'll fall on deaf ears.

The battle is half lost.

You don't trust the process, because there isn't one.

So, we settle - settle for the lack of maintenance, settle of the lack of importance placed on making your space more comfortable, settle for incompetence, settle for the blame-game.

How do we solve this and bring livability back into our conversations?

We have to take ownership of the spaces we inhabit and fight.

Fight for our right for more livability.

When a community starts taking ownership of the place they co-inhabit, you'll start to see the conversation shift towards a more concrete and sustainable definition "livability".

Livability as a concept encompasses a wide range of issues relating to overall "quality of life and well-being".

These issues, structured in 5 themes have a theoretical basis in the social sciences and natural philosophy: security, mobility, economic vibrancy, environmentally friendly, socio-cultural conditions.
Livability is also a tangible attribute and property of a space which we live in.

Livability is place-based and there are ways to increase it, enhance it, facilitate it.

Livability or the lack of it, affects our daily well-being & comfort.

Livability affects the taste of the food in our mouths, the sound of music in our ears, the way our children grow up and the feeling of being alive.

Livability is not just a table-topic, brought up over a drink at a Mamak, only to be buried under other more "pressing" concerns like wages, your child's education, or your job.

No, livability is and should be a pressing concern, high up in your priorities as a member of the community.

Livability is a measure of how strong our sense of ownership is.

Ownership of our gardens, our homes, our towns & our cities.

Let's start talking about livability.





Comments

  1. Do you enjoy writing? If so, Ganga music you can make cash by becoming a freelance writer. Just be aware that most freelance writing sites prefer writers with experience. ganga bhakti

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1: Why I chose to come back to Malaysia

We often hear of people moving to foreign lands to pursue better opportunities, to live more comfortably and to build happier families. Other countries present us with financial security, job prospects, friendlier people and desirable living standards. When I was 14, I embarked on a journey which I regard as the pivotal point of my life. It was a journey undertaken with faith and a hope that the pursuit of happiness will be easier over there, where the grass is greener and the skies blue. It was a journey to come home. As I write this, my journey has brought me home to the country where I was born and it is a place which I can truly call home. My identity is Malaysian, and 9 years in North America has taught me that nothing will ever come close to compromise that reality. I chose to come back because of a confluence of factors, but for this post I'll focus on identity. I'm often asked about why I chose to return to a country in which hope has been dashed by poor governanc

Reflections on New York: Part 2

The Team Triumphant UBC Team with our 'Outstanding Delegation' in the United Nations Headquarters, Manhattan, New York. We represented the Republic of Madagascar in the National Model United Nations conference. (April 1st-5th 2012) This is Part 2 of my reflections. Before I dive into what it was like to live in New York, I would like to say a few things about the people I spent a week with. Needless to say, we performed very well and our awards are the fruits of our labour. What impressed me the most was that everyone recognized the importance of this trip and prepared accordingly through research, speech preps etc. Most importantly, all of them realized their potential and took their individual skill sets to new heights. As the team's academic 'trainer' and one of its members, I viewed our achievement as an unequivocal success. It makes me smile to think that this victory will serve as a cornerstone or stepping stone (call it whatever stone you desire), to

Give Me Some Space

Give me some space. Give me just some space where I can spend my Saturday afternoons, a retreat from the sterile, air-conditioned corridors of those shopping malls. Give me just some space where I can enjoy a picnic with my friends. Give me just some space where I can be sheltered from the scorching sun. Give me just some space with trees, green grass, benches and pebbles, to watch others play softball or throw a frisbee. Give me just some space with well-lit pathways and snaking lanes which lead nowhere, just to explore in the evening breeze. Give me just some space with a canopy, so that bikers can enjoy the shade once in a while. Give me just some space so that I can look up at the clear blue sky, lounging as time goes by. Give me just some space so that I can feel that I live in a place.