Skip to main content

On Politics & Blogging


Yes, we blog to convey our ideas. Yes, we blog to express ourselves in a domain accessible to millions of people. Yes, we blog to reveal our stances on particular socio-cultural issues. But, I hesitate to proceed with the next point in this post, because I am also prone to this mistake. This mistake I speak of is overzealousness and vanity.

When we highlight a political issue for example, we choose quotes, pictures, words and frame the blog post in such a way as to reflect our own opinion. That is absolutely expected - no problems there. However, when we start to assert elements of absolutism and excessive negativity (in the form of accusations or skepticism) we begin to lose that moral high ground. We start to appear defeated, unwilling to compromise, almost childish.

Moreover, overzealousness invites ignorance, and ignorance welcomes irrational judgments. When we are too self-absorbed in our own opinion, we inadvertently shut off other avenues of thought. When we attribute blame to another party or label something or someone as a scapegoat, we are only perpetuating that cycle of terror and fear on each other. Our blog readers do not benefit from overzealousness.

Instead, we risk losing readers in our attempts to win them. Let me explain this paradox in the context of political blog posts. Of course, the very exercise of politics as we know it today, is to have your voice heard and to struggle for decision-making power. This monopoly of power motivates many, including bloggers, to jump on the proverbial bandwagon. Bloggers try to influence others. Bloggers are self-interested despite their claims. Bloggers are vain. Here, I condemn myself for committing the same mistakes.

Bloggers who employ overtly negative overtones in their posts are often  responsible for tarnishing the brand of politics. We are simply painting politics with our blackened presumptions and limited scope. We criticize and speak against leaders in cultural contexts thousands of miles away, on the staunch belief that what works here in Canada or the US works everywhere. Surely, the millions of protesters on the street are doing the right thing. Surely, violence and revolution is the way of the future. Is this really what politics has come down to? Well, our readers who are not well versed in headlines or political news sometimes lack that discerning eye. Politics has thus become a dirty, chaotic and vicious game. Of course it is, some might say, but should it be that way? 




To pick sides in the matter of the Arab World Protests would be to commit the same mistakes I have mentioned earlier. If you have been following my writing thus far, you will have realized that I am against the practice of blogging out of overzealousness since its effects are far reaching. We have a revolutionary power in our hands - the social network online. Let us harness its powers in a collaborative way. When we write on political issues, let us frame it in an educational manner, staying away from the wordings that may antagonize another party. I guess you can say that I am asking for prudence and foresight from bloggers, we wield more influence and sway than we believe. Now, it is our turn to practice moderation in our simple daily blog posts.

Let me wrap up with a short commentary about vanity. No matter how you justify it, the narcissistic nature of  online activity tempts bloggers to 'appeal to the masses'. Blogs are like glasshouses, we try to exhibit eloquence, bombastic words, snarly political views, witty analogies (like I am now) - all these we nurture and care for like a nursery. Yet, we still throw stones.

Now, let us channel these energies spurred by our vanity to involve our readers with meaningful dialogue, to challenge them in a diplomatic way, to stop this propagation of overzealousness, hysteria, scapegoating and fear.

May we plant the seeds of understanding and temperate idealism. May we grow the flowers of harmony and respect for one another.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Talk about Livability Enough

We don't. What's the number one thing you wished would change in the place you live in? I'm not talking about a trip to IKEA for your personal living space. It's something bigger. Beyond your drive way, your porch. Your immediate surroundings or even the township that you're in. When was the last time we paused and reflected on the state its in? Are there clogged drains, litter, stray animals, broken lights, mosquito infestation, rats, roaches, cracked sidewalks, potholes, unused empty spaces, overgrowth, weeds? Just to name a few. Maybe you think it'll be nice to finally add more park benches for people to sit in. Or maybe, to have a park to start with. "Livability" as a concept is not widely discussed on its on, but implied: whether the place has a high quality of living, infrastructure, public transportation, education, amenities, suitable climate, access to jobs. All of these decide whether a place is "livable" or not. B...

New York So Far

It has been such a frantic week or so here. I'm writing this as I take a break from the copious amount of readings assigned in law school. A quick summary of what I've learnt so far (in general chronological occurence during a typical day) 1. Setting 3 alarms to wake up is efficient and effective 2. Showering the night before and laying out clothes for next morning allows me to reach the train station in 12-14 minutes, 15 minutes is cutting it. 3. The 7:52 am train is also a good option if you miss the 7:34 train in New Hyde Park. 4. When Penn Station-bound, sit in the last 2 cars of the LIRR so I'm closer to the 8th avenue ACE trains to West 4th Station. 5. Food portions are extremely large, so anything within $6.99 is very very adequate expenditure for my individual consumption. 6. Haggling has saved me upwards of $40 when riding cabs who don't charge by meter (outside of Manhattan). 7. Sit in the middle back rows of the class so I won't be called on ver...

Reflections on New York: Part 2

The Team Triumphant UBC Team with our 'Outstanding Delegation' in the United Nations Headquarters, Manhattan, New York. We represented the Republic of Madagascar in the National Model United Nations conference. (April 1st-5th 2012) This is Part 2 of my reflections. Before I dive into what it was like to live in New York, I would like to say a few things about the people I spent a week with. Needless to say, we performed very well and our awards are the fruits of our labour. What impressed me the most was that everyone recognized the importance of this trip and prepared accordingly through research, speech preps etc. Most importantly, all of them realized their potential and took their individual skill sets to new heights. As the team's academic 'trainer' and one of its members, I viewed our achievement as an unequivocal success. It makes me smile to think that this victory will serve as a cornerstone or stepping stone (call it whatever stone you desire), to...