Skip to main content

Guns & Roses


We have a dangerous love affair with guns.

A little digression - a side route if you will, from the road with no end. In two of my lectures this morning, I began to realize the extent of a 'gun' culture in our world. Specifically, I am referring to how much the mentality of violence is engrained within us. I say this for two reasons: the romanticization of gun-based violence and the subconscious acceptance of violence as a necessary tools. These are what I believe to be the reasons why 'disarmament' or 'anti-small arm proliferation' talk are merely pie in the sky talk - we have to strike at our very own roots and discard our implict glorification of arms and violence.


First, the romanticization of guns and weapons by the media, our conversations and social understandings. Make no mistake, I am not accusing anyone of being pro-guns or pro-violence. I will reserve my judgments on that matter here; instead, I am blaming our adventurous spirits and our need to be thrilled. The media placates our insatiable need for violence through increasingly elaborate action scenes in movies, news stories are geared towards capturing the sensation of gunshots, bombs etc. Obviously, in due course, the consumption of these movies normalizes violence.This of course, triggers a cataclysmic cycle of violence - our perverted desire for guns feeding an even more destructive force of real-life manifestations of violence.

Second, I am appalled at how many people view the Arab World Protests as great signs of change. I think we must stop to ponder the problems involved with using volatize methods to achieve change. Oh, how forgotten are Gandhian values! Where has the noble notion of Satyagraha gone? I am aware of the differences in social contexts, but still, we are endorsing ruthless violence to acheive better living conditions and governance. Here, I speak to those in universities, scholars, including myself. I must constantly remind myself of the words of Anton Chekhov, that if a gun is introduced in the first act of a play, it must be fired by the final act.

Therefore, we must really reevaluate our positions on violence as a necessary tool for revolution; we must de-glamourize our perceptions of revolution; we must de-romanticize the notions of guns.

Yes, I am preaching to the converted. Everything I have just said has been said a million times. Unfortunately, they have fallen on deaf ears. I think that we must make it our unwavering principle that guns have no place in our world.


That is not too idealistic to ask for, if we start practicing non-violence ourselves. What I mean by this, is that we tailor our aesthetic, intellectual and artistic appetites to critically analyze all sorts of violence and eventually develop a disdain for it. When we watch movies or TV shows, ask yourself what other avenues could have been chosen; what other methods of conflict resolution could have been possible. Maintain strict stances against gore, guts and guns. Remove our tacit compliance to this violent world order. I do not intend to sound like an over bearing mediator, but that is the role all of us have to play if we are to live in a gun-less world.

Let us unhang that pistol from the wall.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Talk about Livability Enough

We don't. What's the number one thing you wished would change in the place you live in? I'm not talking about a trip to IKEA for your personal living space. It's something bigger. Beyond your drive way, your porch. Your immediate surroundings or even the township that you're in. When was the last time we paused and reflected on the state its in? Are there clogged drains, litter, stray animals, broken lights, mosquito infestation, rats, roaches, cracked sidewalks, potholes, unused empty spaces, overgrowth, weeds? Just to name a few. Maybe you think it'll be nice to finally add more park benches for people to sit in. Or maybe, to have a park to start with. "Livability" as a concept is not widely discussed on its on, but implied: whether the place has a high quality of living, infrastructure, public transportation, education, amenities, suitable climate, access to jobs. All of these decide whether a place is "livable" or not. B...

New York So Far

It has been such a frantic week or so here. I'm writing this as I take a break from the copious amount of readings assigned in law school. A quick summary of what I've learnt so far (in general chronological occurence during a typical day) 1. Setting 3 alarms to wake up is efficient and effective 2. Showering the night before and laying out clothes for next morning allows me to reach the train station in 12-14 minutes, 15 minutes is cutting it. 3. The 7:52 am train is also a good option if you miss the 7:34 train in New Hyde Park. 4. When Penn Station-bound, sit in the last 2 cars of the LIRR so I'm closer to the 8th avenue ACE trains to West 4th Station. 5. Food portions are extremely large, so anything within $6.99 is very very adequate expenditure for my individual consumption. 6. Haggling has saved me upwards of $40 when riding cabs who don't charge by meter (outside of Manhattan). 7. Sit in the middle back rows of the class so I won't be called on ver...

Reflections on New York: Part 2

The Team Triumphant UBC Team with our 'Outstanding Delegation' in the United Nations Headquarters, Manhattan, New York. We represented the Republic of Madagascar in the National Model United Nations conference. (April 1st-5th 2012) This is Part 2 of my reflections. Before I dive into what it was like to live in New York, I would like to say a few things about the people I spent a week with. Needless to say, we performed very well and our awards are the fruits of our labour. What impressed me the most was that everyone recognized the importance of this trip and prepared accordingly through research, speech preps etc. Most importantly, all of them realized their potential and took their individual skill sets to new heights. As the team's academic 'trainer' and one of its members, I viewed our achievement as an unequivocal success. It makes me smile to think that this victory will serve as a cornerstone or stepping stone (call it whatever stone you desire), to...