Skip to main content

Post-Exam life: On the Game I Love, the Fringes of Summer , Sad Departures, Looming Unemployment/Boredom

Hey folks,

It has been a while since my blog post. Frankly, I have been enjoying a lot of time outdoors playing basketball and I must say that I have missed this sport dearly. A combination of good weather (gorgeous sunshine) and enthusiastic friends equals a lot of hoops and sore muscles.

I've settled into a satisfactory sleeping cycle, attempting to offset any physiological damage incurred during the last three weeks of hell aka 3 hours of sleep is already a blessing aka I should have studied this long before aka cramming is horrible aka exam period. And boy, did I come out of those examination halls with a victorious feeling.

A Time for Hoops

Anyway, I plan to schedule my time properly over the next few weeks so I don't catch either boredom bug or lazy bug (yet again); for in idleness there is great potential to be vegetated and unmotivated. So, I attempt to channel my youthful vigours into basketball and related exercises to boost performance. Honestly, that's what I have been doing for the past 5 days, just pounding the hardwood and pumping iron here and there.

You can say that I'm trying to get away from books, paperwork and a routine that has largely neglected physical fitness and mental tranquility. I could say that I am a student of the game, studying what others do and pushing myself to perfect certain techniques and to improve my athleticism to compete with other players. Basketball is purely a match of brains and brawn: brains to outwit and do smart things; brawn to outmuscle, outjump and outperform the person guarding me. It is a game I fell in love with back in high school, and till this  day I am thoroughly enjoying this labour of love. The jab-step, the cross-over, the pull-up J; string music and the lay-up; matching up with a ridiculous, sick player with the likes of Tim Subs , sinking almost every three if not every second one. You learn to be patient, be a team player and the importance of creating space for your jumper.

Before this becomes a half-time show on ESPN, I'd just like to say that any sport is relevant, if not essential, for our well-being not because of our physiques or health, but for our mental maturity and tolerance of other competing individuals. In a competitive setting, the ability to control your emotions and act with composure is a merit. Many times, frustration because of a missed shot or botched lay-up; getting blocked or throwing an errant pass; angry because of miscommunication or because you think the guy guarding you stinks to high heaven; all of these emotions kick in and beg you to whine and wail. It is a practice of professionalism as well,  as you attempt to be diplomatic about certain situations, and in this respect, I am still trying to master the art of   tolerance in an atmosphere brimming with testosterone and fuming with temper.

A Time for Goodbyes


Amidst basketball, playoffs, leisure reading and facebooking; I have to admit that I will miss two very important people in my life. The first would be my best friend and brother, Andrew, who will be leaving for Beijing for two co-op terms in a pharmaceutical job-posting. At least, I know he'll be doing a lot of lab work. Point is, he has been a very close friend and confidant of mine since we both came here to Vancouver in 2004. We had our rough spots as in any friendships, but we progressed from being the freshest people off the boat to being the 'freshest' 2k11 players in UBC. Well, we have many accolades of course, but we're not about to brag now, are we? Thanks for looking out for me, and you're welcome for all the times where I bailed or helped you out. All the best to you, brother, you and your nonsense will be dearly missed here in the 604!

The second person would be the amazing Grace who has been a good and close friend of mine in recent years, as we encouraged and talked each other through our undergrad work. She will embark on a prestigious journey eastwards to Ottawa for a government internship, which I am extremely envious and proud of. She has the tenacity to overcome any challenge, so the next few years would be an exciting time for her as she discovers her true potential en route to GG-ship. I am a believer and a witness, Grace! May you mature in stature and allow His countenance to radiate through your daily interactions and endeavours!

To both of you, keep in touch, stay safe and God bless!

As for me, I hope to get a job in the summer and have a solid work, workout, basketball routine. That's the least I can do while my close friends are so far away working their asses off for a better future!

Signing off,

Dennis.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1: Why I chose to come back to Malaysia

We often hear of people moving to foreign lands to pursue better opportunities, to live more comfortably and to build happier families. Other countries present us with financial security, job prospects, friendlier people and desirable living standards. When I was 14, I embarked on a journey which I regard as the pivotal point of my life. It was a journey undertaken with faith and a hope that the pursuit of happiness will be easier over there, where the grass is greener and the skies blue. It was a journey to come home. As I write this, my journey has brought me home to the country where I was born and it is a place which I can truly call home. My identity is Malaysian, and 9 years in North America has taught me that nothing will ever come close to compromise that reality. I chose to come back because of a confluence of factors, but for this post I'll focus on identity. I'm often asked about why I chose to return to a country in which hope has been dashed by poor governanc

Reflections on New York: Part 2

The Team Triumphant UBC Team with our 'Outstanding Delegation' in the United Nations Headquarters, Manhattan, New York. We represented the Republic of Madagascar in the National Model United Nations conference. (April 1st-5th 2012) This is Part 2 of my reflections. Before I dive into what it was like to live in New York, I would like to say a few things about the people I spent a week with. Needless to say, we performed very well and our awards are the fruits of our labour. What impressed me the most was that everyone recognized the importance of this trip and prepared accordingly through research, speech preps etc. Most importantly, all of them realized their potential and took their individual skill sets to new heights. As the team's academic 'trainer' and one of its members, I viewed our achievement as an unequivocal success. It makes me smile to think that this victory will serve as a cornerstone or stepping stone (call it whatever stone you desire), to

Give Me Some Space

Give me some space. Give me just some space where I can spend my Saturday afternoons, a retreat from the sterile, air-conditioned corridors of those shopping malls. Give me just some space where I can enjoy a picnic with my friends. Give me just some space where I can be sheltered from the scorching sun. Give me just some space with trees, green grass, benches and pebbles, to watch others play softball or throw a frisbee. Give me just some space with well-lit pathways and snaking lanes which lead nowhere, just to explore in the evening breeze. Give me just some space with a canopy, so that bikers can enjoy the shade once in a while. Give me just some space so that I can look up at the clear blue sky, lounging as time goes by. Give me just some space so that I can feel that I live in a place.